Body language how to communicate better through video conferencing

Only 7% of the impression we make on others depends on the words we use. The remaining 93% is related to non-verbal communication. Learning to manage it helps to get better results even during a video meeting.

Videoconferencing is changing our way of communicating: thanks to it, it is now possible to build relationships with colleagues and customers more quickly and make the live meetings more engaging.

Even during a videoconferencing meeting or a video call, the basic rules of communication apply. What happens to you for you.

However, there are techniques and techniques that are even more important in a video meeting. Knowing them helps you get better results from this tool.

Not verbal communication

According to researchers from the University of Pennsylvania, only 7% of the impression we make of our interlocutor depends on the verbal component of his message, or his words. The remaining 93% consists of body language, such as movement, posture, and tone of voice. All elements that, with a single expression, are defined as nonverbal communication.

Do not master the frequency and intensity of visual contact, take expression of the closing face or keep a misleading posture can create confusion and distrust.

To get the most out of it, the body language has to be consistent with the message you want to convey.

So here are some useful tips to get the most out of a online meeting or a simple skype video call.

Expression of the face

Become aware of your facial expressions to avoid sending the wrong messages:

– Avoid frowning, grinning, staring or yawning.

– A moderate smile with slightly raised eyebrows will make you look less aggressive and more open to listening.

– Be careful not to over-emphasize the expression of your face and try to maintain a certain balance.

– When smiles send positivity. Too much smiling can be interpreted as a sincere and condescending attitude.

– When you create a climate of confusion or hostility, do your best to be diplomatic and maintain a neutral face expression.

Posture

When in videoconferencing, be careful what message is sending your body. There are many ways to improve bodily language:

– It resembles the body language of your interlocutor. You will make it feel more comfortable.

– Slightly tilt the shoulders toward the camera. You will – and you will look – more attentive.

– Sit upright in the chair. This will make you feel better in your room. The higher position also improves the tone of voice.

– Place your hands in front of your stomach or desk, with the toes of your fingers touching or intertwining. It is a position that gives and transmits confidence.

– Do not tighten the upper part of the body. Stinging your shoulders and neck will in fact produce an image of little sincerity and cause distrust in the interlocutor.

– Do not cross your arms on your chest: this position creates the impression that you are defensive, tired, and uncomfortable.

Visual contact

Eyes are among the main factors that determine the positive or negative outcome of a communication:

– Start group video chat apps with the right degree of visual contact. It should not be too little or too much. According to the US magazine Forbes, business people expected visual eye contact for 50-60% of the time.

– Poor visual contact may convey little interest to what you are listening to, less attention or lack of self-confidence. Too much contact, on the contrary, can discourage the interlocutor, especially if you seldom blink the eyebrows while keeping your eyes fixed.

– Do not fall into the opposite excess and slash your eyelashes too much. Blinking too much of your eyes can mean you’re not comfortable in your conversation. If it happens in the right way, visual contact can instead express confidence, interest, and active listening skills.

Although at first sight some tips may seem to be difficult to implement, it is actually about attitudes that we are naturally prepared for. You just have to get used to recognizing them to master them better. Few sessions of videoconferencing will suffice to gain greater awareness of body language and thus do their best.